The Dangers of Rawhide for Your Dog
Owning a dog is such a rewarding experience and knowing what’s best for their health and safety is undoubtedly on your mind as you embark on this journey with your new best friend. In addition, with so many pet products, toys, and treats available in today’s marketplace it’s difficult to determine which ones are good for your new pup and those that may be harmful. A dog treat that you’re going to want to avoid is the rawhide chew, which is made from the inner layer of cow and horse hides that have been cut to size and flavored like beef or chicken. This popular treat appeals to your dog’s natural instinct to chew on things and it comes in many shapes, sizes, and forms, but there are also many dangers of rawhide.
The main risk that a rawhide chew poses to your dog is that it is a choking hazard. The nature of the material is tough and it doesn’t break down easily, leaving the potential for large pieces to get lodged inside of your dog’s throat. It can also get stuck in other parts of the digestive tract causing a life-threatening bowel obstruction. A secondary problem that can arise with these types of dog treats is that they can become contaminated with salmonella and E. coli, which may also affect you and other members of the household.
An additional, yet equally important, danger of these treats is the chemical process that is used to make the product. This consists of sodium sulfide liming and a hydrogen peroxide whitening treatment. As your dog chews, the compounds inside this product are released into their system and can potentially lead to future health problems. Other dangerous chemicals that have been known to show up in these chews are arsenic and formaldehyde, neither of which belong anywhere near your healthy pup.
Do you have questions about rawhide or better treat selection for your puppy? Contact us and let us know how we can help.